Friday, June 12, 2009

Creating Chaos

The photo shows two of my favorite guys. I love when I get to spend time with each of them which is not often enough. They are both very committed professionals. I have learned a lot from them.

I thought before my departure at the end of July, creating a little chaos for me and my staff might be in order. Chaos was created when five of my seven professional staff plus me changed offices. Why would we do that before I leave? It had to do with changes in responsibilities for some of my staff and it would work better to rearrange offices. So we did. What was I thinking! I moved to what will be our work study students' office! I have gone from a desk with seven drawers to a desk with two drawers! I have gone from an office with a series of picture windows looking out at the campus to a sliver of a window that looks out at a tree! Nonetheless, I am making this office "home" for the next six weeks.

The move was successful and we all still speaking to each other. The new office forces me to look at my "stuff" yet again and sort through it all - you know, the paper files we create because they are "important". Well, I am finding out just how" important" is and isn't! I must say that I have read a lot of articles and of course I thought I needed to keep a hard copy of each one. As a result, I am making a significant contribution to our recycling efforts.

There are "things" that I want to pass onto each of my staff and that is part of my sorting out. I also have "things" to pass on to some of my former students. Peter, one of our RAs, graduated last month with his bachelors degree and has been hired at a private college in New Hampshire as a Resident Director. He is very excited about his initial step into the profession. I found among my many books, a publication (ACPA or NASPA) entitled, "Guide for the New Professional". I want to mail this to Peter.

The sorting continues. I am on the hunt for what I call "my important papers" that are somewhere in one of the boxes that I have packed. My goal for today is to find them.

And so it goes...




No comments:

Post a Comment